Thursday, October 23, 2008

Anxiety

My mother goes in for a hysterectomy on the 28th and she's terrified of the unknown. Every day she has new questions about what will happen. With her MS, she has had several tests and things done to her that caused her pain, and she never wants to feel that kind of pain again.

She's never been administered morphine, so she was concerned about that. I told her not to worry, she'll love it. What I don't understand is why they have to give it to her through her spine... She's also concerned about how long she'll be laid up. They told her 6 weeks until she'll be up and running like her normal self. Now, she lives with a man who she does everything for. Cooks, cleans, etc. My dad will have to step up and take care of things so she doesn't do them herself. She won't be able to lift anything more than 10 lbs. for awhile, and is talking of putting on an arm sling to remind her NOT to do things. I'll be cooking some casseroles and bringing them over for them to heat up. I'll probably go over there during the weekend and clean, too, since I know she's obsessive about that.

With all of the abnormal results from her pap, this is the right course to take. We all know this. However, the unknown can terrify us more than what is right in front of our face.

No comments:

Post a Comment