Monday, April 12, 2010

Spiced Chicken Tenderloins with Honey Glaze

In a family with three young children, a busy husband and a very picky cook (yes, I am very picky) it is sometimes hard to find a recipe that all five of us love that is also easy to prepare.  These spiced chicken tenderloins are easy to make and even easier to eat.  The whole family loved, not just liked, but LOVED the sweet and spicy combo so much that there was nary a morsel left.  On a love scale, 1 being we loved them enough to make again sometime in the future and 10 being let's eat them for our very next meal, I would rate this a 9. 

I got this idea from Our Best Bites, and modified it to my family's liking.  They can be as spicy as you want them to be and as sweet as you want them to be.  The original recipe calls for thigh meat, but I had tenderloins and they worked beautifully.  I used my own spice rub that I made a while back by throwing spices into a bowl until I thought they tasted good, spicy but not too hot was the result, and then topping them with the honey glaze while they grilled on my indoor grill.  Hopefully soon, we will have propane for the outdoor grill which I imagine will produce even tastier results!  If you don't have a favorite rub, or don't know what to use to make your own, just follow the original recipe and make changes to suit your own tastes.  You won't be sorry with this one!

Spiced Chicken Tenderloins with Honey Glaze
Recipe Source: Our Best Bites, modified by A Cook's Quest

Chicken of choice.  I used tenderloins because it was what I had and they are easy for the kids to eat and quick to cook.  But use your favorite.

Rub of your choice or you can follow the recipe here:
Mine (sorry I don't have the measurements) consisted of:

Chili powder
Cumin
Coriander
Red Pepper flakes
Paprika
Salt
Sugar
Dry Mustard

Glaze:
1/2 C Honey
1T Cider Vinegar

Combine the rub spices in bowl and mix well.  Add spices to chicken and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes. Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.


While chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave so it's not so thick. Add the vinegar and combine well. Reserve 2T honey glaze for later. Take the rest and brush on chicken (both sides) in the final moments of grilling.  Drizzle remaining glaze over the top or serve on the side for dipping.

We served this with Crash Potatoes, and broccoli

Total Cost of Meal $4.72 ($3.32 for the chicken)
Chicken $2.50
Spice Rub $.50
Honey $.30
Vinegar $.02
Potatoes $.50
Broccoli $.60
Butter $.30

No comments:

Post a Comment