Saturday, October 16, 2010

Creative Spirit

Quote of the Day:  Do not worry beforehand what to say.  Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit. - Mark 13:11


Did you know that the creative offices for Highlights for Children are located on Church Street in Honesdale, PA?  Churches of various denominations stand side by side, lining the street.  Old homes and parsonages where pastors and their families lived are scattered amongst the steeples.  This quick shot that I took from the minivan is a bit murky, not unlike our understanding of religion, ours and others' faiths.



No matter where you are on your faith journey, or how you were raised, or what might have clouded your understanding of God, most people seek to love their neighbor, find peace in nature, and know that the great gifts of beauty, inspiration, and love come from an inner Creative Spirit that does not abandon us.


At times, we feel broken and bent like this tree.  And, yet, something beautiful and interesting comes of this change in direction.  Whenever I gather with a new group of people, I feel a bit anxious.  Will I say the right thing?  Will they like me?  Will I be comfortable around them? 


The Holy Spirit is there to guide my words and actions.  I was given intuition to discern the trustworthy from the wicked.  If I listen to that voice, when I let the Spirit guide me, I learn that in mere hours, I can be surrounded by loving and caring people who have gathered for a similar purpose, who truly want to create something good, and who want to bring out the best in me.

By Saturday afternoon of our writer's retreat, after we'd shared our writing from a deep, emotional memory, we became bonded to one another in trust.  We allowed ourselves to be vulnerable, to talk about the pain, and to realize that the characters we create must experience pain, be unsafe for a while, and become empowered through their stories.  Through our creativity we empower ourselves and others.

Journey on, fellow Creative Spirits!  May our paths cross in spiritual and physical ways as we follow our callings to create art and music and literature that connects people and brings understanding to a world that often seems like Hell, yet gives us glimpses of Heaven.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about a time when you allowed yourself to be vulnerable and found true compassion and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment