Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First Snow!

Quote of the Day: 
Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind
and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.



Our backyard woods after a stormy, snowy night.  Gale force winds that would have sent waves flooding our house if we lived near the ocean, instead, sent trees toppling, shingles rattling, and disturbing sounds that woke me from time to time.


And, yet, it is so beautiful.


It puts a smile on your face.


And, hey, when life sends you snowstorms in October, make snowmen!

I love the poetry of Robert Frost.  I think with a name like Frost you are destined to write poems about nature and snow and woods that are "lovely, dark and deep."  My oldest son is named Robert (we call him Bobby), but taking after the famous poet, he is a frosty guy.  He loves the cold and didn't think it at all odd to be going to school today in a t-shirt and shorts!  And, rolled his eyes at me when I suggested a jacket.  I sent him out the door with shouts to "drive carefully!"  and "I love you!"

This first snow has made me oddly cheerful.  It's cozy, and beautiful, and invites a new kind of fun (see above pictures).  It also sparks memories of hot chocolate after a cold slide down a hill, fresh baked cookies on a snow day, and cuddling under a blanket and reading a good book.  And, yes, Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!

Journaling Prompt:  How do you feel about the First Snow? What are your memories of snow days, or storm days, or weather related adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment