Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Taking Risks

Quote of the Day:  It's a very excruciating life facing that blank piece of paper every day and having to reach up somewhere into the clouds and bring something down out of them. - Truman Capote



What if the caterpillar said, "Nope, I don't want to change.  This is good enough for me.  I've got the ground and this nice, dry leaf.  I know what to expect every day.  I mean, yes, I do look up at the sky sometimes and wonder what it's like to soar above the ground.  I admire those butterflies with their beautiful wings.  But, well, I'd rather stick to what I know than go through a metamorphosis.  That sounds a little scary."

Kind of like taking risks, isn't it?  What if your intuition is telling you to make a change, but your logical mind gets scared?  What if you dared?




Are you holding back and avoiding facing a challenge? 

I find myself blocked sometimes.  I haven't written one word on my novel since I returned from the Highlights workshop.  I've been assessing what my story is.  I have thought about my play, but need to take the time to reread it and write the final scene.  Then what?  Well, then it's time to release it to the world.  Let it fly out into the sky and see where it lands. 

I have written two short pieces.  One that I plan to submit to the Highlights for Children fiction contest, and a rebus story for regular submissions.  When we were on our tour, the editors mentioned that was a need, so I came home and wrote one.

Hey, you out there, sitting on your dried up leaf, maybe it's time for you to take a risk and make a change.  I'll be here for you, and maybe we can fly away together.

Come back and let me know what happens!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about the times when you come alive.  Where are you?  Who is with you?  What are you doing?  Did you take a risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment