Sunday, February 27, 2011

17 Years of Motherhood, and counting

Quote of the Day:  The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.  from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger


My first born son turned 17 this weekend. He recently read "Catcher" and posted this quote on his facebook page.  I think he really liked the book.  He said that he plans to post a quote from good books that he reads.  Hmm. That sounds familiar. 

He once asked me if I had posters of rock stars on the walls of my bedroom when I was a girl.  I said, "No, I wasn't in love with rock stars.  But, Nancy (my sister) had pictures up of all the stars.  Her room was wall-papered with ripped out pages of Teen magazine."

"What did you have you your walls, Mom...horses?"

"Well, yes," I said.  "How did you know?"

Bobby rolled his eyes.  "There's two kinds of girls.  Those who are in love with rock stars and those who love horses."

He had it figured out by age 14.

He's a scholarly fellow, this first born son.  He likes good literature, thinking games, deep discussions, historical films, and technology.  We went to The King's Speech together.  I thought it was more of a gift to me, but he really liked it, and we talked about it afterwards.  It's a great movie about a man who never thought he'd be good enough to be king, or give inspiring speeches, or appear strong.  But, he did.  In making himself vulnerable to a commoner with great instincts and caring, he conquered fear.

Seventeen years ago, I was a new mom.  He was born at noon on a Saturday, 9 lbs. 3oz. and ready for lunch.  Both of us opened our eyes to new life and all the possibilities.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  What posters or decorations did you have in your childhood bedrooms?  When did life take on new meaning for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment