Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Jacket Weather

Quote of the Day: Snowball by Shel Silverstein
I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
and let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its head.
Then last night it ran away,
But first - it wet the bed.

Here's a picture of our first snowfall of the season.  It was October.  We were excited.  It was pretty, and it was sticky enough for snowballs and snowmen, and it was fun.  Now, the driveway is packed with ice, as are the intersections.  A big lump has formed under my mailbox, requiring me and the mail carrier to lean down to get the mail in and out of it. 
Plus, it's darn cold!



Even with temps well below zero and a wind-chill advisory, and warnings of frost bite, this new driver refuses to wear a warm coat. (This picture was taken last year when he got his license.  I must have threatened him with refusal to pay for the license if he didn't wear a coat.)


Last year he lettered in football, so I got him a Letterman's jacket for his birthday, thinking, ah-ha, NOW he'll wear a warm jacket when it's cold up here in Minnesota. 
Nope.

Somehow, the wearing of the jacket has become a power struggle.  It started young.  Yes, he's a hot kid.  As a baby he wouldn't wear the hot jammies with the feet (cute as they are).  He kicked off all of his covers and ran around in t-shirts in the middle of winter.  He'd cry if I tried to get him to put on a long-sleeved shirt.  When he was in the 6th grade, he wouldn't wear his warm coat, so I brought it along in the van.  "Love and Logic" parenting guide says that if they're cold, they'll put on the jacket.  He refused to even carry it with him.  So, I threw it out the door at him when he got out of the van.  He picked it up and threw it back in. I tossed it out.  Finally, he picked it up, gave me a dirty look, and carried it into the school.  When I picked him up later that day, after a swim practice, he tossed it at me and said, "I never put it on."

I determined that he's channeling Bud Grant, former coach of the Minnesota Vikings.  Back in his day, the Vikes played outdoors.  He never wore a coat, often was in short-sleeves, had his players practice outdoors in any kind of weather, and didn't allow heaters on the sidelines.  Tough guy.

All we see is white snow, ice, and the occassional brown sand/salt mixture.  I'm longing for color and warmth.  How about you?  Here's a visual to give you warm thoughts.


After our spring thaw and flooding season, we'll have days like this.  Picture yourself there, now, cool glass of iced tea or lemonade, chatting with your good friend, watching the days melt away.


To get myself even more in the summer spirit, I'm working on a story today about my friend Georgia and her writer's hideaway on the banks of the Crow Wing River.

Journaling Prompt:  Where is your creative corner?  Do you have a warm summer memory to get you through cold, winter days?  Do you have any ridiculous power struggles?

No comments:

Post a Comment