Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Guy in my Life

Quote of the Day:  FOG by Carl Sandburg



THE fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.






That's just how Leo glided into our hearts.  I told the boys, "We're just going to look at HART" to see what cats they have at the shelter, and that "We probably won't find just the right one the first time we go."  So, we walked into the cat room.  I sat down on a chair, thinking, I'll let the boys look at the cats.  Then, this big, fluffy furball climbed on my lap, snuggled down and started purring.  He loved it when I pet him.  Then, Zach sat down to hold him, and he fell asleep on his lap.  They were closing, so I said we'd go home and "sleep on it."

Saturday morning, I was trying to distract myself from thinking about that white, fluffy cat at the animal rescue shelter, by reading blogs.  Inkygirl posted this link, and it was all over. It's photos of writers and their kitties.

So, I called the shelter, and we went to get him.  I told Zach to try brushing him, because with a coat like that, he'd better like being brushed.  He loved it.  I filled out the paperwork, paid the fee, and brought the pet porter into the room.  I set it on the floor and opened the door. Zach set Leo down and he walked right into the porter.  We were all shocked.  The worker said, "I've never seen a cat so willing to go in one of those.  He must really want you to take him home."  Yep, I feel like Leo picked us.

He's about a year and a half, is declawed and fixed, well cared for, and had to leave his family due to allergies.  You can tell he's been snuggled and played with, brushed and loved.




Journaling Prompt:  Have you ever gotten a pet from a shelter, or rescued one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment