Friday, May 27, 2011

Pray for Peace

Quote of the Day:   from Matthew 24:6-7 (The Message)
Jesus said, "Watch out for doomsday deceivers. Many leaders are going to show up with forged identities, claiming, 'I am Christ, the Messiah.' They will deceive a lot of people. When reports come in of wars and rumored wars, keep your head and don't panic. This is routine history; this is no sign of the end. Nation will fight nation and ruler fight ruler, over and over. Famines and earthquakes will occur in various places. This is nothing compared to what is coming.




News of the end of the world took me by surprise.  I didn't know it was coming until sometime late on Friday when a facebook friend linked an ad. for dog care after the rapture.  Huh? Doesn't the end of the world mean the end for everyone and every living thing?


The passage above is a modern translation of the Bible. I love the clarity in the language.  When I was a kid, I thought that "wars and rumors of wars" and earthquakes, and "nation rising against nation" were signs that the end was near.  Then, I thought, people who were living in times of the great wars, especially WWII, must have thought, this is the end.  But, it wasn't.  Generations were born and grew up and fought more wars, new wars, old wars, wars that never cease.


Instead of spending our energy and resources figuring out how to most efficiently kill each other, we could be using our wonderful minds and talents to determine when the next natural disaster will occur.  We can give out warnings, and have aid available.  We could concentrate on preserving life and saving people, on beauty and creativity and lifting each other up.


We don't need an army of people to stop one power-crazed man.  We need an army of people to stop his army of followers.


What does Memorial Day mean to me?  planting flowers at gravesites, a somber parade followed by a meaningful service.  It's families taking time to be together and making the Earth a more beautiful place.  They're planting flowers, mowing lawns, doing projects, and remembering.


Thank you to all the people who have sacrificed for freedom.  We salute you.



John Lennon's song Imagine is probably the most brilliant song ever written. imagine all the people, living life in peace...




Blogger has been quirky lately, making it hard to leave comments. I found that horribly frustrating. I mean, how will you know I've stopped by for a visit, if I can't leave a note? Here's a suggestion I read in the comments of a fellow blogger:



"Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said... the way around the blogger commenting error is to sign out of blogger and then sign back in, but to UNCLICK the "stay signed in" box. Worked for me" 

It also worked for me.  Thanks, Sarah!

Go. Create. Inspire!  And, remember the reason for the holiday.

Journaling Prompt:  Write your reflections on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment