Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Writing Support

Quote of the Day:  I like to write when I feel spiteful; it's like having a good sneeze. - D.H. Lawrence

You can be a little ungrammatical if you come from the right part of the country. - Robert Frost

Grammar is a piano I play by ear.  All I know about grammar is its power. Joan Didion

I found those quotes in a little book called Writers on Writing.  I picked it up at a used bookstore in Lincoln City, OR, when I was visiting my sister last summer. (That's Joy in the background looking at funny music books.)


Sometimes, I envy kids because they have so many opportunities handed to them.  Grown-ups have to make their own opportunities. Take last week's Young Authors Conference.  The kids could choose from 18 different presentations by professional authors.  In fact, we were all wishing we could rove around and sit in on each other's classes. They were diverse and interesting and filled with inspiration.  They could learn about Jackhammers and Mount Rushmore, sharing secrets, and writing scenes for a screenplay, to name a few. I would have loved being a kid that day.

Where do you turn for inspiration? Have you taken any classes lately?  Used any online services?  One place students can go is college support services.  We visit blogs, read about other's success, buy the craft books, take courses, and attend workshops.

My idea of a great vacation would be to escape to a camp for grown-ups who like to create things.  We'd have theatre games, time to write, time to interact, great food, campfires with wild, imaginative stories, late night swims, and a bit of romance.



Ya, that's the kind of summer camp I'd sign up for.

Journaling Prompt:  Where do you go for support and inspiration?  Do you want to join me in my virtual summer camp?  Have you ever been to a camp or retreat center that nurtures your creativity?  Your sense of romance?

No comments:

Post a Comment