Friday, July 22, 2011

Soundtrack of Your Life

Quote of the Day:  For better or for worse, music is the language of memory.  It is also the language of love. - Jodi Picoult, in her novel Sing You Home

Sonja Hinderlie playing her cello in the Mount Carmel Trio


I am not original in posing the question, What is on the soundtrack of your life? But, I found it was a great journaling prompt for my friends and family at Mount Carmel.  I had a longing to connect with other creative spirits, so I announced that I'd like to get together with others who are interested in journaling.  I used my own prompt from my recent post, What songs hold a strong memory in your life?

A couple other moms and I met on Tuesday.  We talked about songs that we sang as kids, and ones that we sing to our kids.  One mom said that her kids love it when she sings Rock-a-by baby in the treetops, when the wind blows the cradle will rock. When the bow breaks, the cradle will fall, and down will come baby, cradle and all.  And, it's a lovely little tune and you sing about a baby and rocking, but then you're singing about the cradle falling and breaking, and when you think about it, it's not such a nice song afterall.  So, this mom, tried other words, which didn't really go over, so she wrote out a different image of the cradle falling into the loving arms of Jesus, and a prayer that the baby would be protected from the storms and falls of life.  A much nicer vision as you send your children off to dreamland.

On Wednesday, I tried meeting with a few more people right after lunch.  My mom was the first one there, and we were quickly joined by two of my cousins, a cousin-in-law, and another woman (the only non-Aalgaard).  We started by writing out songs and memories associated with songs.  My mom wrote a list of songs she likes to sing or hum to herself, morning praise songs, hymns, then started to write about songs that reminded her of her grandma and her parents.  We got a little family history out of it - for instance, our grandparents (on my dad's side) came into their faith by attending tent rival-type meetings back in the 30's.

My mom wondered what songs I'd think of when I thought of her.  Hymns, of course, especially Swedish hymns, but that's more her dad.  I told her that I think of her when I hear the soundtrack to Fiddler on the Roof.  She likes the good, old musicals.  The Sound of Music is also a favorite, but what I'll always remember is that my mom prefers the first half of these shows.  "They end too sad," she says.

My dad sings cowboy songs and gospel songs and anything that sticks in his head.  He loves to sing.  And, I realized that it's a family trait to walk around all day with a tune running through your head.  I hear my boys doing it, too. Ah, Tradition! like in Fiddler on the Roof, or the way we all confessed to stopping for ice cream on our way to camp.

Go. Create. Inspire! And, keep a tune in your heart.

Journaling Prompt:  What is on the soundtrack of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment