Sunday, January 1, 2012

52 Weeks

Quote of the Day:  We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. - Edith Lovejoy Pierce

That's what it feels like to start a new journal, and is symbolic of all the new starts we have throughout a year and a lifetime. Think of a new school year, a new job, a move, a new relationship, even eating at a new restaurant. The image of the New Year being a blank journal appeals to me and my new-found sense of adventure. My word for 2012 is Dare!

Dare! is such a strong word. I kept trying to tone it down. I thought, well, maybe daring, but no, Dare! kept resurfacing. It is bold and challenging. So, I thought, maybe my word could be bold. Nope. Dare! still took the stage. Something in the universe is challenging me.

In 2012 we have 52 weeks plus a day, a leap year. What can you accomplish in 52 weeks? I was talking this over with my massage therapist Darcy Peterson Walkowiak. She does both massage and myofascial release. I am wound up pretty tight. I've had some back and shoulder trauma from hitting two deer with my van. I am hunched over keyboards all day (piano and computer), and I'm a divorced mother of four boys. Needless to say, my back and shoulders are tight. Darcy was able to release some of that tension. I told her that during the session, I was in a state of half-sleep. I had visions of sailing out into the fjords of Norway, beautiful and exciting at the same time. I also had images of tiny butterflies being released from my body, like little spirits of energy and light. She said that butterflies symbolize transformation. We also talked about those 52 weeks. If we make just one change a week towards better health, by the end of the year we will see and feel a difference. Plus, one change a week is not overwhelming. I told her my goal as a playwright is to write one new scene a week. I can't even image what great stories might unfold in 52 scenes!

With a challenging word like Dare! and 52 weeks plus one day ahead of me, my heart pumps a little stronger wondering what will be on those pages by 2013.

Cheers to you as you celebrate a New Year.
Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  What would you like to work on for 52 weeks? What's your word for the year? Do you know anyone who has a birthday on Feb. 29?

No comments:

Post a Comment