Friday, July 27, 2012

Apple Cake



When your in-laws give you three cases of apples it means it is time to make delicious desserts!  Apples are my all time favorite fruit to bake with and it won't be difficult to use them all up.  My father-in-law made a request for a batch of apple butter, my husband asked for dried apples to pack during hunting season, and I wanted to try some new recipes.

The first recipe I tried was this delicious French apple cake.  It it dense with chunks of apples and rich with an almost custard flavored cake, but light and delicate too.  I would put the cake to apple ratio at about 50/50.  This cake was gobbled up quickly by my family.  I thought it was best at room temperature with a sprinkling of powdered sugar; however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it served warm with fresh whipped cream!

I only made one change to this recipe--the original calls for 3 tablespoons of rum; however, I didn't have any so I left it out of this recipe.  If you have it, add it in and let me know how you like it.  ENJOY!!

Marie Helene's French Apple Cake  published in Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table
Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from Kirbie's Cravings


3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
4 large apples (it’s suggested you use 4 different kinds)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and center a rack in the oven. Butter an 8 inch springform pan (I lined mine with parchment paper). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper to put your pan on, or you can also wrap tin foil around the base of the pan like I did.

Peel, core, and chop the apples into 1 inch chunks.


Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until light yellow and foamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and  whisk until smooth.  


Stir in half of the flour mixture, when it’s incorporated, add half of the melted butter, followed by the remaining flour mixture and butter. Mix in between additions so you have a smooth, thick batter. 

Fold in the apples with a rubber spatula. 

Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread with spatula so the batter is somewhat even.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool for five minutes.  Top with powdered sugar and freshly whipped cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment