Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Open a Book

Quote of the Month: Open the window in the center of your chest and let the spirits fly in and out. Rumi
(My theme for this year's A to Z Challenge is Open.)

Millie and Willie, a sock puppet creation, are here to tell you their story during the April A to Z Blogging Challenge. Here's what can happen when you Open a Book.



Willie: When I was working on the railroad (hums a little of the song)

Millie: Willie, you're getting distracted from your own story.

Willie: Yes, well, when I was working on the railroad, all the livelong day.

Millie: Oh, for heaven's sake.

Willie: Sorry, I would be out two weeks, back a week, and so on. On the Saturdays that I was home, I'd pick Millie up and we'd go to a nearby town, walk around, shop, buy ice cream at drugstore soda fountain. I always got the cherry dipped cone.

Millie:  Sometimes, they had a special five spot cone. You could get a different flavor in each of the cone spots.

Willie:  Millie loves her ice cream. She never shared either, except when I had to hold her cone while she checked out a bookstore.

Millie:  I could get a little distracted by a bookstore.

Willie:  We bought our first copy of The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss together. Left foot, left foot.

Millie:  Right foot, right.

Together:  Feet in the morning, feet at night.

(bump heads and giggle)

Millie:  Ah, but I knew that he was the one when we stopped for a picnic and Willie pulled out a copy of A Farewell to Arms. He started reading it to me.

Willie:  We read it together.

Millie:  We read the dialogue like a play, kind of role-played Catherine and Lieutenant Henry.

Willie:  (raising eyebrows up and down) More than kind of, Darling.

Millie:  We've never gotten through the ending without turning into a puddle of tears.

Willie:  Mr. Hemingway sure had a way with words.

Millie:  I hear they have cherry dipped cones at the Chocolate Ox in Nisswa.

Willie:  Millie, what are you suggesting?

Millie:  After your doctor's appointment, I think we should take a drive up to Nisswa.

Willie:  (smiles, reaches for the old, worn out copy of A Farewell to Arms and hums, I've been working on the Railroad)

Come back tomorrow to find out who needs to join the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about a book that you've read more than once. I think of "North of Hope" by Jon Hassler as my "comfort book."

No comments:

Post a Comment