Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Open a Newspaper, or Not

Quote of the Month: Open the window in the center of your chest and let the spirits fly in and out. Rumi
(My theme for this year's
A to Z Challenge is Open.)

Millie and Willie Cottonpoly, a sock puppet creation, are here to tell you their story during the April A to Z Blogging Challenge.  

Millie and Willie enjoy the Neighbors section of the local newspaper
 
Millie:  I just love the Neighbors section of the newspaper.
 
Willie:  And, the funnies. Gotta read the funnies, especially on Sundays.
 
Millie:  What happened to the front pages, Willie?
 
Willie:  Oh, I spilled coffee on'em. Threw'em away.
 
Millie:  Spilled coffee, eh? Something upset you?
 
Willie:  You know, Millie, I've been up and back and all around this great country. I've seen every natural disaster and traveled through towns that in one year went from prosperous to ghost towns as times changed.
 
Millie:  Yes, Willie, you've told me some sad tales.
 
Willie:  I've also seen heroic people jumping in rivers to save a drowning child. I've heard the farmers talk of doing the harvesting for a neighbor who had been diagnosed with cancer. I've watched other railroad workers leave an extra large tip from their rather small income to help out a waitress down on her luck.
 
Millie:  I know, you've told me those stories, too.
 
Willie:  I want to think of those stories today.
 
Millie:  I understand. Some days, you'd rather not open the newspaper and read about tragedies.
 
Willie:  You already saw it, didn't you?
 
Millie: (tears welling in her eyes, nods)
 
Tillie:  (barks and jumps up on Millie's lap)
 
Willie:  (gets up and grabs the leash) Let's take a walk.
 
Millie:  (gets up, takes a bag of home made chocolate chip cookies off the counter)  Noticed the new neighbors are settling in. We'll stop by and give them a proper welcome to the neighborhood.
 
*************
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  Have you ever tried to shield someone from bad news? Do you bring cookies to new neighbors?

No comments:

Post a Comment