Saturday, April 20, 2013

Open a Review of Nice Fish at the Guthrie in Minneapolis, MN

Quote of the Month: Open the window in the center of your chest and let the spirits fly in and out. Rumi
(My theme for this year's A to Z Challenge is Open.)

Millie and Willie Cottonpoly, a sock puppet creation, are here to tell you their story during the April A to Z Blogging Challenge. This is a slightly unconventional review since I'm in the middle of the A to Z challenge and Millie and Willie have taken over blogging. Today is R day. R is for Review of Nice Fish at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, MN. They did enjoy the show, which in itself is unconventional as it is told for the most part through poetry. Take it away Mr. and Mrs. Cottonpoly.


Millie and Willie Cottonpoly throw caution to the wind and ride the winter storm from Brainerd to Minneapolis to view and review, Nice Fish, written by Mark Rylance, Louis Jenkins, and friends.
 
Millie:  Uff, Willie, wasn't that a hoot?
 
Willie:  I felt like I was out on the ice with them fellers.
 
Millie:  I know. I've done my own share of philosophizing, staring into that hole. Wasn't it funny when Ron dropped his cellphone into the water? I wonder how many of those things are at the bottom of the lakes of Minnesota.
 
Willie:  How do you even work those contraptions?
 
Millie:  Some people like to have all the latest gadgets and technology, even out on the ice, like that character Erik.
 
Willie:  I'm a simple man, like Ron. All's I need is a sturdy rod, fresh bait, and a good sandwich.
 
Millie:  That bit about the bologna sandwich made me giggle.
 
Willie:  I thought Freya, also called Flo or Blossom, was enchanting.
 
Millie:  mmm hmmm. I think your eyes lit up even more when Wayne rode in on that old snowmobile.
 
Willie:  Snow Jet one lunger. They roared her to life with one pull, just like my old one, Millie. She was sweet.
 
Millie:  Yes, well. The actors were stunning, especially the main characters Erik, played by Jim Lichtscheidl, and the playwright himself Mark Rylance who was charming as the never in a hurry, keep it simple, Ron.
 
Willie:  (humming a polka) That music got my toe tapping. The minute I walked in, I felt like I was back in my home town.  The Norwegian fiddler, singer, and dancing were pretty good, too, you know.
 
Millie:  If you're from Minnesota, you will connect to many things in this play. If you're not, you'll get a sampling of the folks who live up here and what they think about while out fishin'. Good fun for the whole family.
 
Willie:  I thought Freya was enchanting.
 
Millie:  (rolls eyes) I'm going to take a nap, now, so I'm fresh for tonight's review of The Broadway Songbook at the Ordway.  I sure hope the roads have improved and we don't get another six inches of snow tonight!
 
Millie, The Biker Chef, and Willie attended Nice Fish with reviewer Mary Aalgaard.
 
Willie and Millie are ready for their audition at The Guthrie.
Don't you think they look great in this line-up of fine actors?
 
******************
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  What are some unique things about the people and places where you live? Any fun sayings?
 
Nice Fish is playing at The Guthrie through May 18. Click over there for more info, photos of the show, tickets and show times!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment