Monday, April 29, 2013

Open to Youthful Events (and cake)

Quote of the Month: Open the window in the center of your chest and let the spirits fly in and out. Rumi
(My theme for this year's A to Z Challenge is Open.)

Millie and Willie Cottonpoly, a sock puppet creation, are here to tell you their story during the April A to Z Blogging Challenge.


Millie and Willie attend the twins' birthday party, double the fun, double the guests, double the cake.
Anyone else thinking of the old Double Mint Gum commercial?
 
Millie:  Willie, aren't you excited? It's the twins' birthday.
 
Willie:  Yes. That means double the cake!
 
 
Millie:  And, a loud and boisterous Happy Birthday.
 
Willie:  Do you think those young fellers would teach me how to play that video game contraption?
 
Millie:  I'll need to triple the pancake batter for breakfast.
 
Willie:  Mmm. Pancakes. Are we going to share our freshly tapped and cooked Maple syrup?
 
Millie:  You know we are, Willie. It's for the kids. And, some of them helped collect sap.
 
(After the party festivities wound down and all the boys went home to sleep in their own beds, Millie and Willie attended a local production of The Glass Menagerie.)
 
Willie:  That was just as good as anything I've seen at The Guthrie in Minneapolis.
 
Millie:  I am astounded by the talent right here in the Brainerd lakes area.
 
Willie:  That woman who played Amanda, Laura Busch, could have been my mother, Millie. She wasn't a Southern Bell, but she did have a command of the family, if you know what I mean.
 
Millie:  Yes, Willie, that is the most memorable characteristic of your mother. I was quite taken with Tom, of course. He told his story with love and sentiment. Kevin Yeager is a fine actor, indeed. Maybe he'll be in a show with us some day.
 
Willie:  That young Linda Nichols might as well apply to the University acting school right now. She could audition at any of the theatres in the metro.  She was so believable as shy, young Laura that I wanted to walk right on stage and hug her and give her some courage to face the world head on.
 
Millie:  (chuckling) The costume designer deserves an A+ for all the great outfits, especially Amanda's party dress. What a hoot!
 
(Millie and Willie go to bed ruminating on the themes of the play, loss of youth, or the clinging to it and the past, as they rest up for Sunday's music recital.)
 
Millie and Willie play a little something during refreshments after the recital.
 
 
Millie:  They were all so good, Willie. I want to applaud one more time.
 
Willie:  They are all so brave to get up on that bench and play their songs, or sing in front of all these people.
 
Millie:  Music lessons and recitals build character, Willie.
 
Willie:  And, confidence. I didn't have nearly that much confidence when I was young. I could barely raise my hand in class to ask a question.
 
Millie:  I love people who support the arts.
 
Willie:  I love all those kids, and their teachers. Music teachers are the best.
 
Millie:  They create good things.
 
Willie:  Amen, Millie.
 
Spring Piano and Voice Recital at Edgewood Vista in Brainerd, MN
 
&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  How have you supported the arts lately? Anyone else have a birthday? My babies turned 13 today! Now, I am a mother of four teenage boys. (send help)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment