Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Swimming Rama

We like just about anything with peanut butter in it, including Swimming Rama.  Haven't heard of it?  I hadn't either until about a year ago.  Don't get me wrong, I am no stranger to Thai food.  I LOVE Thai food.  It's just that whenever we go out to eat, I always order the same thing.  At our favorite Chinese restaurant, I order the walnut shrimp and something called "volcano rice."  Every time.  At Panera Bread, I order a bowl of chicken noodle soup, with a toasted sesame seed bagel on the side.  Every time.
But one day, I got brave.  I passed over the usual Pad Thai on the menu and ordered something called Swimming Rama.  Where has this been all my life?!

So, I went home and did what any good home economist does- figured out how to make it on my own.  I tried several recipes, but finally settled on a version of the Thai Peanut Sauce recipe that came with my BlendTec blender.  The original recipe is great.  And really, besides doubling the recipe and omitting the hot pepper sauce, I've only made minor changes to fit our family's pantry.  Here's how I make it-

1/2 cup Lite coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (or bottled, if you don't have fresh)
2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
2 TBSP honey OR agave nectar
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 TBSP gingerroot
2/3 cup peanut butter

Throw all of the above ingredients in the blender.  

For some reason, I pulled out the honey for this photo, which is what the original recipe calls for, but I usually use agave nectar.  Either one works fine.

Blend.  That's it!  Sauce done.  I know, complicated, huh?

Now chop up 4 chicken breasts.  The day I learned that chopping partially frozen meat was so much easier than fully thawed, my whole world became a much better place.


Cook the chicken in a bit of oil.  I usually use canola oil for this.

Note:  it's advisable to clean up the stove from the previous night's dinner, before posting a photo of what you're currently making for dinner on your blog.

Once the chicken is fully cooked, add in the complicated sauce.  Barely warm it through.  Like for 30 seconds- maybe.  Too long and the sauce gets yucky.


Set out some sliced peaches and open a bag or box of spinach.
My littlest kids still need some convincing when it comes to fresh spinach, so I serve it separately.  That way they can opt for a smaller handful.


But for Wes, my oldest kids, and me...


bring on the fresh spinach!

No comments:

Post a Comment