Sunday, August 18, 2013

Apple Tart (Torta di Mele, Apple Galette)

You don't need a special kind of apple for this dessert.  Just use what you have on hand.  Some varities are naturally sweeter than others.  You might want to add more sugar if you are using a Granny smith variety.  I used my favorite, Pink Ladies, always on hand.  I just needed two for this 11 inch tart pan.  To coat the pastry I used fig preserves.  Lucky for me I had one last jar on hand.  Just takes a little and so worth it.   I like to use pear or apricot.  Whatever is on hand.  I don't live next to a French bakery, nor an Italian one (although doesn't everyone secretly wish for that), we have to make due. Thank goodness, my husband likes to be precise.  I would have piled them in.  Which ever way, it's all good.  I let him do the assembly.  We share the eating part.   Enjoy.
Ingredients:  One Pate Brisse  pie crust. (No sugar added)
If you must, you can use a good quality, store brand.  
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2 large Pink Lady apples (About 1 pound or so).  Use 3 if you like.  Make it as tall as you like. 
2 tablespoons melted butter
a pinch of salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
One teaspoon Cinnamon
3 tablespoons white sugar
One teaspoon of sugar to sprinkle over the tart
Method: 
Slice, core and peel your apples.  Slice them into thin, even slices into a bowl.  Add your lemon juice.  Add your sugar, Cinnamon, salt and give it a gentle mix.   Set it aside. 
After your dough has rested in the refrigerator for 30 minutes,  gently roll it out on a floured surface into a circle.  Carefully pick it up and line your tart pan.  A non stick pan is a good investment.  Cleanup is very easy and the tart comes out easily too. 
Carefully place your pie crust onto your baking pan.  Gently press the edges with your finger.   With a rolling pin, roll over your top of your pan so your edges peel right off.  
Melt 1/2 cup of Fig Jam over a low flame.  In just seconds, it will begin to melt.  Carefully apply your jam to the base of the tart.  Start assembling your tart by place your apples in a circle, starting along the edges of your pan.  Work your way to the middle.  
 After you have finished assembly, brush with melted butter.  Butter the edges of your pastry too.  
 Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven, loosely covered, for 45-50 minutes.  You don't want the edges to darken to quickly.   Once out of the oven, let rest and serve warm with a little ice cream.  I sprinkled sliced almonds over the edges during the last 10 minutes of cooking time along with a bit more sugar.  I am afraid I ate it before I could get a good end result picture.  
Special Note:  Use an Apple that won't break down to easily when cooked.  You want to apples to stay firm some but soft after baking.
More photo's coming soon.  
Buon Appetito!




No comments:

Post a Comment