Thursday, August 8, 2013

IWSG August 2013, A Day Late and a Dollar Short

Quote of the Day: I don't think you have time to waste not writing because you are afraid you won't be good at it. Anne Lamott

I'm a day late and a dollar short on this month's posting for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh (click his name for a list of more participants and an explanation of how the group got started). I think we should have an IWSG week instead of just one day. I know I could use more therapy, and with summer and all its distractions, a little wiggle room on time. Thanks.

I was part of this exciting event the past four days in Sturgis, SD, home of the largest motorcycle rally, started in 1940.

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, August 5, 2013
 
I have this dilemma at the moment of having so much life to live, adventures to experience, and family and friends to spend time with, that I'm afraid (and rightfully so) that I won't take the time to write. So, I've tried to combine my activities with my love of writing and recording life. I write reviews for theaters in the Minneapolis/St. Paul areas. I write about arts events in my home area, Brainerd lakes area, and I'm writing about my travels on another blog, Ride off the Page. You can read more about the Sturgis Rally and this year's trip there. I'll be posting there in the next few days.
 
I had huge insecurities about being a travel rider/writer, especially blogging from the back of a bike. Up until last summer, I'd never been on a street bike before, much less taken a wild west tour on one. So, the details and the language were foreign to me. I thought, real bikers won't want to read my travel blog. Non-bikers will question my mental health. My travel companions, and folks we met along the way, might not want me to expose them to the world wide web. So, I almost didn't write it. But, I had encouragement from the Biker Chef and our friends and family who enjoyed living the trip through our pictures and words. And I thought, why not? I'm a good writer. I know how to make the event come alive for others, and I love taking photos.
 
So, my fellow insecure writers, write what you are drawn to write. If it is placed in your heart to do it, then it IS your thing. You ARE the one who is supposed to tell that story. Write it. Don't apologize and don't hesitate. Your adventure is at your fingertips.
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  What are you waiting for? What is holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment