Monday, December 9, 2013

Ready and already I'm behind!

Quote of the Day:  O, Christmas Tree, O, Christmas Tree, how lovely are your branches. a favorite holiday song

How's that for a winter wonderland!

I'm already three days behind in the Advent Photo A Day Project. Uff-da! I'll catch up a bit here today.

Dec. 7th's word was Ready. We were busy getting ready for Zach's Birthday (the 7th) and Christmas this weekend. Our tradition has been to celebrate Zach's birthday, then put up the Christmas tree. I had an old plastic tree that lit up only halfway, which was a disappointment to the Biker Chef, so he said, "Let's go to a tree farm and cut our own tree." Well, Saturday's temps were well below zero with horrible wind. We got Zach a birthday present, went grocery shopping and stayed in. On Sunday, however, the temps creeped to just above zero, so we popped in the Nat King Cole cassette tape (Biker Chef still has his mom's!), and headed to Hebron Gardens Tree Farm.

Hey, kids, this is a cassette tape. It plays music.

The snow is not a photo prop. We've had plenty here in Minnesota!

Sizing up the tree and whacking off the snow.

Loading it up in the truck.


Then, the scenic drive home.

The joys and aggravations of putting up a real tree give us fond Christmas memories. After cutting the stem a couple times, repositioning it, and tightening the screws on the tree stand, it seems to be standing fairly straight in its new home in my living room. So far, our cat Leo hasn't tried to climb up and knock it over. It's only a matter of time, I'm sure.

The Advent word for Sunday was Wisdom. On our way to the tree farm, I lifted up the camera to take a shot and discovered that the battery was completely dead. In a moment of wisdom last Friday, I put the spare battery in my purse. (Patting myself on the back.) I'll have more on Wisdom in a future post. It has to do with our trip to St. Paul on our way to the Wizard of Oz.  Here's a sneak peak.

Can anyone guess where I am?

O, Christmas tree, O, Christmas Tree, your branches are indeed lovely, although a bit pokey. When it touches my skin, big welts break out on my hands and arms. Yikes! I'll be watering the tree with rubber gloves on and the boys will do all the decorating. Oh, the pricks and prickles of the holidays as the blend in with the joys and traditions. Here's to making new traditions and lasting memories! Cheers!
Happy 16th Birthday, Zach!


Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Do you put up a tree at Christmas? What winter holiday traditions do you have?




No comments:

Post a Comment