Friday, December 2, 2011

How Books Stack up Against Kids

Quote of the Day:  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Favorite Photos Friday
(I had fun planning and setting the scene for this photo. I also had help from my two youngest readers.)


I've been thinking about books and the stacks and stacks upon rows and rows of them in big bookstores, like Powell's in Portland, OR. It's overwhelming. And, when you're a writer and think you might like to see your very own book on those shelves, you can feel a bit intimidated by all those books. I look at them and think, "Look at all these books. How could you ever find my book in all these shelves? And, who could ever read all these books?" I've even wondered, "Aren't there enough books already?"

I know, it's crazy. Then, I look at my kids and measure how books stack up with them. They read and read and read (they have more time than us grown-ups), and then they go get more books and read them, too. And, when they're done with that series, they look for the next great one, and I think if you asked them, they'd say, "There aren't enough books." Because I've watched it happen. They devour books the way my almost 14-year-old polishes off a pan of lasagna. As soon as it's gone, he's looking for more.

Those same young readers were less helpful after the stack fell.
"Hey, guys, come back!
We need to put them all back, now."
*sigh*

So, keep this in mind as you gaze at the shelves, view the movies, or watch the plays. Once you've experienced a great story, you start looking for the next one, and the next one might be yours!

Also, I'll put in a plug for smaller independent bookstores. Their shelves are far less daunting. The staff is friendlier, and they support local authors.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  What do you think a teen or preteen boy goes through faster - a shelf-full of books or a cupboard full of food?

No comments:

Post a Comment