Saturday, July 3, 2010

4th of July Cupcakes

I couldn't post a frosting recipe with no cake for it to go on!  I wish I could claim the clever idea for these darling little cupcakes, but I can't.  I saw the 4th of July idea at Fabulously Frugal when they posted thrifty treat ideas for you holiday get together, and a few months ago I saw the same idea at Our Italian Kitchen.  I knew this would be  project that the kids could participate in, and the final result would be all the better for their help!
Since I have yet to find the perfect homemade white cake recipe (if you have one, please send it to me!) I used a cake mix.  The color comes from gel food coloring that you can find at just about any craft store that sells cake decorating supplies, and the creativity comes from you.  I would highly suggest using squeeze bottles with the tips cut off at the base for the batter if you have little people helping you, but it isn't necessary. 
Colored Cupcakes
Recipe source: It's been around for ages

1 batch of your favorite white cake, prepared
 Food coloring (gel is best because it won't thin your batter like liquid colors will)

After your cake batter is prepared, divide it equally for each of your colors.  Add the gel colors and mix well.  Pour into your squeeze bottles, and fill your cupcake liners as desired...this is the fun part!  Bake as directed by your cake recipe.  Cool and frost with your favorite frosting and decorate as desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment