Thursday, July 29, 2010

Joy in Art and Inspiration at Mount Carmel

Quote of the Day:  a poem by Rumi, published in The Music Lover's Poetry Anthology

Where Everything is Music

Don't worry about saving these songs!
And if one of our instruments breaks,
it doesn't matter.

We have fallen into the place
where everything is music.

The strumming and the flute notes
rise into the atmosphere,
And even if the whole world's harp
should burn up, there will still be
hidden instruments playing.

So the candle flickers and goes out.
We have a piece of flint, and a spark.

This singing art is sea foam.
The graceful movements come from a pearl
somewhere on the ocean floor.

Poems reach up like spindrift and the edge
of driftwood along the beach, wanting!

They derive
from a slow and powerful root
that we can't see.

Stop the words now.
Open the window in the center of your chest,
and let the spirits fly in and out.

Drum beats and children dancing and beautiful notes rising up from the piano and into the hearts of people, singing, laughing, living, feeling inspired, being loved.
The Committee of negative voices are silenced when I am immersed in so much art, music, and inspiring artists.  When I am at Mount Carmel, I soak it all in like a dry sponge until I am full and ready to pour out that inspiration to others. Here are a few artists who inspired me this week.


Maren Hinderlie is an animated storyteller.  I have learned so much from her by watching her presentations, visiting with her, and enjoying this piece, a dramatic reading of the epic poem Terje Vigen by Henrik Ibsen. 
Maren is always a storyteller, even in casual conversations, or introductions, you hear expression in every word.  I find myself wanting to applaud. 


Kay Hoffland is a pianist that I admire.  I listen and watch in awe.  She has the energy of a 30-year-old and the style of a master.  I have gone to her for teaching and mentoring.  She helped me regain my confidence after a difficult time, musically and emotionally.  She accompanies Maren for this reading with music that she matched to the story.  The words and music evoke a stronger emotional connection.


This year, I met Betty, the guest artist/pianist from Salzburg, Austria.  I arrived at camp during a terrible storm, high winds, hail, and tornado warnings.  As I pulled into camp, the sun was coming out and I slipped into the chapel to hear Betty's gorgeous classical concert. 
Here she is after playing a duet with Kay at the classical recital at the end of the week.

Betty is a beautiful woman with generous talent and a lovely spirit.  I didn't think I'd get close to her at camp because of my own feelings of unworthiness.  Turns out, she's a regular person like me.  She's a piano teacher and has beginners like I do.  She inspires and encourages them.  She also has a wounded heart, like mine, from divorce and feelings of abandonment.  We connected.  She played a piece by Chopin at the classical recital and as our send-off from Mount Carmel.  It's called The Aeolian Harp.  The story is that the Gods put this harp on the top of the mountain where the breezes blow through it, making beautiful music.  That's how I think of the Holy Spirit working in my life.  I am the harp.  God sends the breezes through me, filling me, allowing me to be beautiful despite my flaws.

I came home and looked up The Aeolian Harp. When I bought my piano, I found music inside the bench.  I'm sure that the former owner was a piano teacher.  She left me some wonderful pieces, including this one.  I have let my classical skills lapse a bit, but hearing Betty play has inspired me to learn new music, memorize, and play more by ear.



Journaling Prompt:  Who or what has inspired you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment