Friday, November 16, 2012

Connecting to the Community through Art

Quote of the Day:  If I had my life to live over again, I would have made a rule to read some poetry and listen to some music at least once a week; for perhaps the parts of my brain now atrophied would have thus been kept active through use. The loss of these tastes is a loss of happiness, and may possibly be injurious to the intellect, and more probably to the moral character, by enfeebling the emotional part of our nature. 
- Charles Darwin

This quote is used as an introduction to my favorite book, The Music Lover's Poetry Anthology. I marked my favorites with mini-post-its, and it is a colorful display of papers! I love so many of these poems. Poetry, music, art, attending plays and live performances, creating art collaboratively all help us connect to one another. It builds community and keeps us from feeling isolated.

My younger sister, Joy, is staying with me for a couple months, and she immediately started making connections. She's offering a six-week voice lesson session, and several people have already scheduled lessons with her. She makes the cutest fairy houses out of pottery and wanted to continue with that creative outlet, so she contacted Kevin Matthews at Glaze to Amaze.





Kevin Matthews and Joy
 
Kevin welcomed Joy right in. She showed him one of her houses, and he gave her a couple tips on making the lids (roofs) fit a little better. They're exchanging work space and materials for help in the store.  Joy jumped right in and helped with Ladies' Night last night, Thursdays from 3:00 - 8:00.
 
 
When I came back to the store, after teaching a couple piano lessons and getting my boys ready for a band concert, I saw Joy sitting next to one of my former piano students, Holly!
 
 
 
The Brainerd Lakes Area Women of Today chose Glaze to Amaze as their outing for the week. Look how much fun they're having, creating, and connecting!
 
 
Thanks, Kevin, for being so accommodating and welcoming my sister into the community of artists.


Glaze to Amaze is located in downtown Brainerd on Laurel Street. Kevin will be offering great specials during both Black Friday, next week, and Small Business Saturday. Shop local, support artists in your area, and help build up your community.

After the pottery fun, we were off to the 9th grade band concert. Did you ever mention how much I love band concerts? Yep. Love'em. They never last long enough for me. The band teachers in this area deserve a standing ovation!!!

Students entering for the concert. Not the greatest photo, I know.
You can see my boy's blonde halo in the trumpet section.
 
Today, we're off to The Guthrie Theater to view and review A Christmas Carol. I'm bringing lots of family for this wonderful show.
 
If you're interested in taking a few voice lessons while Joy is here, contact her at Joy@itsajoystudio.com. Read her post on A Successful Day where she describes how voice lessons can boost your confidence as a singer and in life.
 
Read my most recent Her Voice article here  starting on p. 36,on having my first-born leave the nest.
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  Write about a time when you felt more connected to your community through the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment