Wednesday, December 5, 2012

IWSG December 2012

Quote of the Day:  Words of wisdom from the late Johnny Carson:
I was raised to be humble, but that doesn't really work in show business. You have to have a certain amount of ego to make it. I don't mean, being all cocky, but you have to go out there with a confidence that you are the best. When you go out there, you have to believe that you are great at what you do.

I'm sitting here in my living room, with my cat on my lap, wondering what I have to say to other insecure writers (and artists and anyone who might need a confidence builder), and I'm watching a PBS special on Johnny Carson. He had to believe that he was the best of the best and go out night after night with that confidence. He didn't have room for self-doubt. If he had it, he hid it well.

I heard a professional basketball player say something similar. He said that when he's out on the court, he has to believe that he's the best player out there, then he plays like it.

Do you do your art with that same kind of confidence? Do you say, "This is what I do best. People want to read my words (or see my art, eat my food, hear my ideas, etc.)" You need to. If you can't say it out loud, think it. Write it in your journal or your bathroom mirror. Yours is the first positive voice you hear in the morning. Another way to build your confidence is to truly listen to compliments. Hear what others are saying about your work that builds you up. Keep writing, or making your art, because you don't want to let your followers down.

I've been hearing from fans that they'd like to see another play this spring. I wrote, produced, directed, and acted in my first full-length play last year. I feel pressure to produce something new that is as entertaining, and excitement to do it, as well as the fear of not pulling it off. And, where's the time, for goodness sake?!?!

Mary at the Shante before a performance of "Coffee Shop Confessions"
Will there be a second cup? Double Shot?
It's a mystery.


Go. Create. Inspire!
And, dare to be the best at what you love to do.

(To connect with more bloggers on the list of Insecure Writer's Support Group, hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh, click on the badge on the right or his blog. We post our IWSG on the first Wed. of each month.)

Journaling Prompt:  Of all your gifts and talents, what do you do the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment