Sunday, June 12, 2011

Leo the Writing Cat

Quote of the Day:  To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make. - Truman Capote


This is Leo. 
We went to the shelter in search of a new cat.
He chose us with a leap on my lap, an instant purr, and curious blue-green eyes.





On Friday, I went to Turtle Town Books, an independent bookstore in the little town north of my home.  I wanted to get a copy of Abercrombie Trail by local author Candace Simar for my dad for Father's Day.  I had read that one and bought the other two in the series.  It's an excellent historical novel set in Minnesota, 1862, during the early days of the settlers, mostly Scandinavian, and the Sioux uprising.  So well done. Interesting story line.  Well researched.

I walked into the store and saw that they had a book signing by an author from Wisconsin.  I bought three of his books, also to share with my parents.

Several siblings and I, plus a couple nephews, were at the farm for an early Father's Day celebration, and after a delicious noon dinner, I presented my folks with their new books.  Mom saw Stolen Genes, Stolen Children by G.R. Revelle and said she bought his book when she was at Hoestfest in Minot, ND.  She said, "It's a terrible book.  You all need to read it!"  She'd given her copy to my brother Phil, and sent this new one home with my brother Nathan.  Guess I'm fourth in line.  (I'm the fourth of six kids.)


Leo was also curious about these books from a Wisconsin author with Swedish roots.



At one point he licked the books. The first time I had lobster bisque, I told the waitress that it was so good I could lick the bowl.  Guess the same goes for books, just ask Leo.

While Matilda was the piano cat who sat next to each of my students while they came for lessons, Leo sits on top of the piano and enjoys the good vibrations.  He also sits on my lap when I try to type.  I haven't quite figured out how to work around that big, fluffy tail.

Go. Create. Inspire!
And, sink your teeth into a tasty book!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about a time when you had a chance encounter or a surprising discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment