Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Senses

Quote of the Day:  Tired by Shel Silverstein
I've been working so hard you just wouldn't believe,
And I'm Tired!
There's so little Time and so much to achieve,
And I'm Tired!
I've been lying here holding the grass in its place,
Pressing a leaf with the side of my face,
Tasting the apples to see if they're sweet,
Counting the toes on a centipede's feet.
I've been memorizing the shape of that cloud,
Warning the robins to not chirp so loud,
Shooing the butterflies off the tomatoes,
Keeping an eye out for floods and tornadoes.
I've been supervising the work of the ants
And thinking of pruning the cataloupe plants,
Timing the sun to see what time it sets,
Calling the fish to swim into my nets,
And I've taken twelve thousand and forty-one breaths,
And I'm TIRED!

I know. I know! Another picture of Leo the cat, but he's just so darn cute.


My senses have come alive as summer has finally hit Minnesota.  We've had blue skies and sun all week, temps up into the 80's, and not at all humid.  I cut into this watermelon and breathed in that scent of summer.

Do you ever worry about slicing off a digit when you cut into that slippery watermelon?
I mean, it's the perfect conditions for it, a round, smooth, wet surface and a slick cutting board.
But, have no fear! I've just ordered a handy-dandy new set of knives from the neighbor girl.
It's her summer, before I go off to college, job.  Hey, I'm a sucker for a girl who loved band and tells me she's interested in linguistics.  And, besides, I needed the knives. Really. I see you shaking your head. Stop.


So, I have the warmth of the sun, the smell of the fresh-cut watermelon and mowed grass and the smallest of green tomatoes sprouting from my patio pot garden.  My boys got motivated to do chores because they want their own laptop - because Mom doesn't like to share hers!  They corralled their friends like a couple of Huck Finns and washed the deck.

They actually fought over who got to hose it down first. We had to go alphabetical.


Looks inviting, doesn't it?  Wanna sit a spell? Read a book, listen to music, chat, or nap?

They also swept out the garage.



I purchased extra window washing supplies and buckets.  More fun with water!  It will look like so much fun, I'll be turning them away at the door.

Journaling Prompt:  Share your summer sensory images.  What sounds, smells, tastes, and feels like summer to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment