Wednesday, January 2, 2013

IWSG January 2013 and the Word for the Year

Quote of the Day:  Now is no time to think of what you do not have, think of what you can do with what there is. Ernest Hemingway

It is the first Wednesday of the month, and the first Wednesday of the year. I participate in the Insecure Writer's Support Group, hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Go to his site for more details and a link to others who participate. It's a great way to build community in our writer world.

Interesting shaped package
 
K.C. had the most interesting shaped package "under" the tree this year. Everyone who looked at it had a guess. A "For Sale" sign, a picket sign, a sign that announces your business, directions, a huge shovel, an extra large pancake flipper? The only way to discover the answer is to OPEN the gift.
 
Once you've opened the gift, you have a certain expectation of how to use it. You get a little nervous and think, but who am I to use such a fine gift? Aren't there others out there with more advanced gifts that mine? Am I really worthy of it?
 
This year, I've decided to throw my name in the lotto for the Minnesota Fringe Fest. It's a week long festival of theater productions for anyone who dares to participate, about 165 different types of performances. They have everything from kids writing their own shows to very adult themed and professional troups, dance performances, and one person stand-up. Anything goes. The only way to get into the festival is to register your name, get a number, and be chosen. I went to the informational meeting on it at our local community college. Two of the organizers came up to promote it and answer our questions. I got excited. I told myself I'd go right home and sign up. Then, I looked at the website, and got scared. Look at all those fabulous photos, amazing productions, talented actors and crew, creative thinkers. The negative committee sat down in my head and ordered pizza. They almost talked me out of applying. But, I have to do it.
 
My word for the year is OPEN. The message I'm hearing from it is, you are open. Your gifts have been opened, now go out and use them to...
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
I'll be applying for Fringe Fest today. Wish me luck!
 
Journaling Prompt:  What's your word for the year? What fabulous gifts have you opened that are beckoning you to use?
 
It's a spear used for ice fishing, hand made by my nephew.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment