Friday, January 4, 2013

Polpettone Alla Toscana~Tuscan Meatloaf

I always hated Meatloaf growing up. I can't seem to remember my reasons.  My husband loves it.  He has been begging me for 21 years of our marriage to make him meatloaf.   I finally gave in.  I called my mom only to be told " why would you make something you never liked?"  I informed her I was turning over a new leaf.  I wanted to give it a try.   After careful thought, I gave in, followed her directions and added some extra pancetta.  To my surprise what transpired was something fabulous.  A fabulous connection between the Cook and food.   I am now convinced I was missing out on  21 years of goodness.   She reminded me you can never go wrong with a classic recipe.  Buon Appetito~!


Ingredients: This recipe makes enough for 6 portions
pound of ground beef
1 pound of ground pork or veal
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 cup parmigiano Reggiano
2 teaspoons of salt for your meat mixture
2 teaspoons of pepper
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped proscuitto or pancetta (If you are using pancetta, or bacon, cook it slightly first to release the flavor, drain your fat away and add your bits of pancetta to your bowl)
2 cups chopeed ciabatta bread crumbs, soaked in milk and drained
salt and pepper to taste for your plate
One 14 oz can of tomatoes diced in their juice mixed with one cup water
One cup of white wine (optional)
3 tablespoons of olive oil for searing your meatloaf



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all the ingredients by hand  until well incoorporated in a large, deep bowl.    Place 3 tablespoons olive oil into a baking pan and set aside  Place your polpettone in your pan in a rounded fashion.   Mold into a long form.  Place in the refrigerator for one hour to set.   Remove from refrigerator.  Heat your olive oil in your pan to medium heat.  Carefully place your meatloaf in the pan (oven proof baking pan),  and sear all sides being careful not to burn.  When browned, add  one cup white wine.  When reduced by half, add your 14 ounce can of sauce mixed with one cup of water. Bring to a slight simmer.  Turn your heat off and  carefully place in oven for 45 minutes on bake.    Bake for 45-50 miniutes.  Remove from oven and let cool. Slice when cooled.    Carefully transfer your meatloaf to a serving platter.   Reduce your sauce on the stove until thickened.  Slice and pour your sauce over your meatloaf.  You can even make some pasta and toss with that fabulous sauce.  Buon Appetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment