Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflections on A to Z Challenge, 2013

Quote of the Day:  I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7

The Blogging from A to Z challenge in April is a marathon. I proudly display the Survivor's Badge on the right. Congrats to any other bloggers out there, reading this, who have also completed the race. You are a rock star. You have what it takes to be a successful artist. You have the ability to Go, Create, and Inspire!

I loved the challenge this year. I looked forward to writing each post, and it's all because of Millie and Willie Cottonpoly, my sock puppet creation!

Millie and Willie celebrated completing the challenge with a bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir  
from A to Z Wineworks in Oregon.
 
We had a little chat after the April Challenge.
 
Mary:  I'd like to thank both of you for coming alive for this blogging challenge. I couldn't have done it without you.
 
Millie:  Stop it. It was our pleasure.
 
Willie:  Pfft. It was nothing. A piece of cake after working on the railroad all those years (singing it).
 
Millie:  Willie, for Heaven's sake, talk now, sing later.
 
Willie:  Wait a minute. Did someone mention cake?
 
Mary:  You did, Willie. Maybe you're remembering the fabulous cake that Joy made for the twins' birthday.
 
Cake by Joy Ciaffoni
 

Willie:  (stares longingly at the cake pictures, starting to hum I've been working on the railroad.)

Millie:  (nudges Willie in the heel) It was kind of you to let us share our stories on your blog, Mary.

Mary:  I loved every word. A couple favorites are A, the story of how you met, and L, for the Love Letter that you wrote to Millie, and of course, when Willie encouraged you to write your memoirs, Millie. I think they'd be so fascinating to read.

Millie:  (making flustered noises) Oh, I don't know.

Willie:  Millie, your story is inspirational. You can't hide it under a bushel. What if your story helped someone else, or helped out a dog who just needs some understanding and a good dog whisperer?

Millie:  Well, when you put it that way.

Mary:  You need to set aside time every day to write.

(Millie and Willie look pointedly at Mary.)
Um, yay, I need to follow my own advice there, don't I?

Millie:  We know you have a great creative spirit, Mary. You made us!

Mary:  (nodding as she wipes away a tear) I think we'll have a long relationship.

(hugs all around)

Willie:  Now, where's that cake?

**********************
 
The creativity doesn't end with the challenge, and neither should the self-discipline. I learned that when I'm determined to do something, I will make the time to do it, even if I'm taking photos of sock puppets at 10:00 at night, or introducing them to famous poets like Naomi Shihab Nye. That was a hoot. I also learned that Millie and Willie Cottonpoly are very social. When they make an entrance, they always bring out smiles and conversation. They also love the theater and will accompany me to many more shows when I'm invited to write reviews. Don't worry, they're not about to shut themselves up in the sock drawer any time soon. Now, that they've seen the light, they're ready to create more drama!
 
Thanks, Alex J. Cavanaugh for introducing me to the Challenge. Thanks, Arlee Bird for launching it in 2010. It's a wild and wonderful race!
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  What kind of race have you finished, only to be inspired by another challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment