Monday, November 25, 2013

I Heart My Subaru

Quote of the Day:  A suburban mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after. Peter DeVries

Car sickness is the feeling you get when the monthly payment is due. Author unknown, quotes found on quotegarden.com.

The car has become the secular sanctuary for the individual, his (her) shrine to the self, his (her) mobile Walden Pond. Edward McDonagh


Here I am driving my shiny new Subaru off the lot!

In The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, she asks the question, "What would you buy your artist if you weren't so stingy?" I thought I had given her all she needs. But, as the 2003 Dodge Caravan's odometer creeps up past 160,000 miles and the rust spreads like cancer, and the groaning old thing sounds like it's ready for retirement, I started looking for a newer road partner. I had no intention of buying something brand new. I had almost ruled out the Subaru because the dealership is in St. Cloud and I live an hour north of there. Still, it was a nice day, and we had some free time, so we jumped in the Biker Chef's Honda and went car shopping. After almost a week of research, driving around car lots, test-driving a Chevy Equinox, crunching numbers, and talking it over with family and friends, I felt fairly well informed. We told Dan, at the Subaru dealership, that we were looking for used. He said, "We have a screamin' deal on new Subarus." We looked. We took it for a ride. We crunched numbers. We said, "We need to ruminate," and went out for lunch. 

And, here she is parked in my driveway.
The t-shirt says, I heart my Subaru.

So, what sold me on the new Subaru? Number one is the gas mileage. The old van gets about 19 mpg, the Subaru around 30 mpg. We have verification on that from some very happy Subaru owners, who, btw, said they love their Subaru and wouldn't buy anything else. In fact, two of our friends are on their second Subaru. The other things I needed were enough room for my three cowboys, as The Biker Chef calls them. Three football player size teenage boys, and once in a while their older brother who might be visiting us from college. And, a huge factor in Minnesota is that it can handle ice and snow. That's what the Subaru is known for with its AWD system. It handled well, nice tight steering and brakes. I love the back-up camera. I've worried for years about backing out of my driveway, which is dark at night, and all the little kids that live around here. 

Alright, and it's a shiny, new, red car. I think my "cool factor" just went up with my kids. The middle son, who is just learning to drive, jumped in the driver's seat and seemed fairly confident. I named her Scarlet and she really sparkles in the sunlight. I think we'll have many grand adventures together!

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about getting your first car, a new car, learning how to drive, or describe your dream vehicle.


No comments:

Post a Comment