Wednesday, November 6, 2013

IWSG November 2013

Quote of the Day:  Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparable. Brenda Ueland, quote found in the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.


Piano Bench Confessions

The first Wednesday of each month, I participate in The Insecure Writer's Support Group, founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Go to his blog for more connections to insecure writers. We fill the airwaves on days like this! 


I am working through Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way with my sister and a couple other creatives who need a boost of confidence to get things moving. Chapter Two discusses the "crazy makers" the people who sabotage our creative success. Some are surprisingly close to us. Some are paid instructors and seemingly well-meaning teachers. Some creep up in unexpected places and cause all sorts of damage. These are our villains. Julia says we need to be very wary of these people. They are the blamers, the hurtful criticizers. They are, in reality, more stuck and frustrated than we are and are lashing out as we try to move forward and live a more authentic and creative life. Pay attention to this. If you are feeling beat up by someone's comments, shut them out. Make a list of the crazy-makers in your life and limit your time with them. Some relationships might even need to end. You  need to decide and empower yourself.

Then, to combat those negative voices, surround yourself with your champions. Make a list of those folks, the ones who say, "Of course, you can. I believe in you. I love you and your creative spirit," and then they show you just how much. 

So, what does all this have to do with a picture of a piano bench? Well, I am a pianist and a piano teacher. I had some serious wounds related to my playing and creative spirit. Without my champions, I would not have recovered. I also use that bench to process the world and sort things out. I don't know how I'd manage without it. And, it has been the source of inspiration for my next play Grace Notes: Piano Bench Confessions. Self-doubt rose up in me last week (I was a bit ahead of schedule for the IWSG), so I talked it out with my sister (a grand champion) and my friend who is also a publicist and promoter of words, and I messaged and connected with a few more supporters. They helped me realize that I had been exposed to many of my villains recently and that some of those interactions triggered old wounds and insecurities. Then, they said those magic words, "I believe in you. Get busy we're waiting for the next play," or whatever it is you're working on.

Go. Create. Inspire!
You are a unique and creative individual and the world is waiting for your masterpieces!

Journaling Prompt:  Who are your champions?

No comments:

Post a Comment