Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reckless Love

Quote of the Day: 
Listen carefully: Unless a grain of wheat is buried in the ground, dead to the world, it is never any more than a grain of wheat. But if it is buried, it sprouts and reproduces itself many times over. In the same way, anyone who holds on to life just as it is destroys that life. But if you let it go, reckless in your love, you'll have it forever, real and eternal. John 12:25 (The Message)





(Photo of friend, Pete Woit, jumping off a bridge.
Of course, that's not me!  I'd be way too terrifed.)


Being reckless in your love must be something like leaping off a bridge, or jumping out of an airplane, and praying that the chute opens.  What would you need in order to make that leap?  What kind of equipment would you pack?  Who would be there with you?  In my case, who would push me out and listen to my scream all the way down?

To me, thinking about dating after divorce feels a bit like being pushed out of an airplane.  I'm about to land in a foreign country where I don't speak the language and I don't understand the customs.  I mean, how do you even say hello?  A nod, a handshake, a kiss, and if so, where?

The verse I quote at the top of this post isn't just about romantic love.  It's about being reckless in your love for all people.  People in foreign countries who are hurting from natural disasters.  People inside cultures that oppress and abuse.  People in lands where war is the norm and peace is a distant dream.  What would it take to be reckless in your love to your neighbors who do things differently than you do?  What kind of equipment would you need to reach out to someone in a difficult situation?  Who would be there to help you?

Journaling Prompt: What does it mean to you to be reckless in your love?

No comments:

Post a Comment