Sunday, May 23, 2010

I Left my Bra in Omaha

Quote of the Day:  So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline.  Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.  Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness. Let the Word of Christ - the Message - have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives - words, actions, whatever - be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way. from The Message, Colossians 3:12-17



I wore that uncomfortable bra all the way from Brainerd to Omaha.  The under wire was poking near my underarm.  It was rubbing me the wrong way!  I needed to discard that old thing. Although no one else really sees it, I'd know that what was underneath the outer covering needed to feel and look right.  Purge out the old, put on something new!

I accompanied my friend on an inward-outward journey to Omaha because what's inside of her has been rubbing her the wrong way for years.  She suffers from depression, grew up in an alcoholic home, and is working very hard at getting healthy and living an authentic life.  She was willing to go alone and meet with a highly skilled therapist who lives there.  I thought about how hard that would be, to face your inner demons, then go to a hotel room all alone at night.  I offered to be her travel companion. I gave her the gift of a loving friend.

While she counseled for two days for inner healing, to shed the old nettles that poked and prodded her life, I went shopping.  Yes, I experienced retail therapy.  Nothing like getting a new bra to lift your spirits.  But, I also took time for myself - read a book, took a nap.  Something many moms neglect to do.  I hadn't made myself so unavailable to my kids in years.  Their Dad had to make arrangements to be "on call" for them.  As you know, we tend to have an emergency now and then!




What's underneath your outer appearance has everything to do with the way you feel.  If it's ugly and broken, purge it, and try on something new.  If you need a professional to help you figure it out, don't be afraid to ask for help.  You deserve to have a life filled with good people, healthy living, comfort and peace.

On a related subject, Jeannie Campbell is a writer/therapist whose blog The Character Therapist is filled with great insight into people's/character's psyches.  A recent post is on the top 10 reason's characters stay in abusive relationships.  Please read it and share the info with someone who needs it. Thanks.

Journaling Prompt:  Is there something in your life that's rubbing you the wrong way?  What can you do for yourself today?  What can you do to show love to a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment