Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Forgiveness

I find being human has quite a few challenges. One being forgiveness, especially when the person hasn't asked to be forgiven, or refuses to acknowledge they have done anything wrong. I can't see in their hearts and know that for certain, but if there isn't any type of language asking for forgiveness...I have a hard time forgiving. Personal accountability and all of that.

I have been dealing with some fun things in my life for several years and it has reached its head fully the past couple of months. It has kept me up at nights. Causing dreams that make me want to have my head examined. Causing anxiety in an already anxious time.

I went to church on Sunday and listened to the Parable of the Prodigal Son. It spoke of the father's forgiveness towards his son. It also spoke of the older brother and how he also had to forgive. It then spoke of the younger son, and his asking, no BEGGING for forgiveness in his heart, but his father forgiving him on sight. It resonated through me. I prayed with everything I had to soften my heart. Soften. Cleanse it.

Am I supposed to forgive only if the person asks for it? What if they don't want my forgiveness? What if they don't think they have done anything wrong? I am sure I have hurt people in my lifetime unknowingly and would want them to forgive me for my actions, my ever so tactless tongue.

The Bible says in so many ways that we are commanded to forgive. That should be enough. To keep asking for help to forgive, to keep forgiving, because God forgives us. So, I am putting it out there, whether you want it or not. I forgive you. I am tired of the bickering, the heated discussions, the problems. I ask that you forgive my words and actions from bitterness. Let us both have the grace to forgive each other as we are commanded to do. And let's be honest with our own hearts and if we still carry hostility, to keep praying for freedom!!

Ephesians 4:32 ESV
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Luke 6:37 ESV
“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

Colossians 3:13 ESV
Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Matthew 6:14-15 ESV
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mark 11:25 ESV
And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

Luke 6:27 ESV
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 17:3-4 ESV
Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”

Matthew 18:21-22 ESV
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

1 John 1:9 ESV
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 Peter 3:9 ESV
Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Matthew 6:14 ESV
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,

No comments:

Post a Comment