Monday, March 28, 2011

No Fear of Falling/Failing

Quote of the Day:  Just what makes that little old ant, think he can move that rubber tree plant?  Anyone knows an ant - can't - move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes.  He's got high hopes.  He's got high apple pie in the sky hopes.  So, any time you're gettin' low, stead of lettin' go, just remember that ant.  Oops! There goes another rubber tree plant.  from The Rubber Tree Plant Song (remember this was Shirley's theme song from the Laverne and Shirley show?)  The skating show I saw this weekend had an old-time TV show theme.  (Yes, my friends, the shows we watched as kids are now the old-time shows.)

{Sorry there are no photos.  Very unusual for me.  I sat next to a local professional photographer at the show and I'll link to her blog when the photos are available.  They will be worth the wait.}
My best writer-mama-pal, Roxane at Peace Garden Writer, sent me this article from The Urban Muse.  The writer challenges those of us who create to dare to take risks.  We need to write, create, paint, dream, and put ourselves out there with the same fearlessness whether we succeed or fail.  As I was reading that, I thought, it's not really whether or not that creation succeeds or fails.  To me, failure only exists when we allow those fears to keep us from trying, or to quit because of perceived roadblocks, feeling not good enough, or being rejected.  Any given work can be accepted or rejected, and even the rejection could be temporary.  All we can do is create what we are led to do, the rest is up to God and the creative universe.

I watched the local figure skating club's annual show this weekend.  I was a proud piano teacher.  Several of my students skated, and I loved watching them.  They have great rhythm, naturally! 

I feel a metaphor coming on...

We watched skaters from beginners to pro.  The beginners were so cute, I could hardly stand it!  They shuffled along, showed off their forward motion, and skating backwards.  They wiggled their hips to the song and did a few hand actions.  I whistled and cheered.  A few fell, but they all got right back up and into formation, and continued the routine.  I thought, maybe one of the first things they're taught is how to fall gracefully without getting hurt and feeling like failures, thus leaving the ice in tears.  No one cried.  No one quit.  Sometimes you leap and spin and land solidly and glide on into the applause.  Other times, you wipe out. The audience holds their breath and wishes you success, every time you try! Just like our creative work, folks.  Sometimes, we nail it.  Sometimes, we have to pick ourselves back up, and try all over again.

Go. Create. Inspire!  And, dare to risk the fall.

Journaling Prompt:  Name your fears, purge them out, then go boldly in the direction of your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment