Friday, September 9, 2011

POLLO ALLA CACCIATORA (HUNTER'S STYLE CHICKEN)






I felt the need to comment on this recipe, as I have seen one to many chefs on TV destroy such a classic dish.  Why? I have recently sent a message regarding this to Marcella Hazan.  I need some help settling the matter once and for all.  So, as I await her response, I thought I would comment on my recent experience.  This is the way my mother made it.  It's uncomplicated, classic and oh so good.  I am convinced that even this classic recipe varies regionally in Italy.  My mother is from the Puglia region, my father from Vietri and my husband from Rome.   I imagine that this recipe has Neopolitan routes as my father insisted my mother cook it this way.  My kitchen is always confused, but somehow classic always prevails.   Here is my version.  I have a friend who raises organic chickens.  I love it when she comes for a visit.  The taste reminds me of home.  Thank you Ms. Gina, for all good things you do.
Ingredients: One 4 pound whole chicken
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic / minced
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced roasted red/yellow peppers
salt and pepper
flour for coating chicken
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 tablespoons parsley
1 cup dry white wine

One whole Organic chicken cut into small pieces approximately 3 inches in width.  This will enable the chicken to not only cook quickly, but absorb all that great flavor.  Wash your chicken and rub with lemon.  I like to remove some of the skin.  But I do leave on at least half for additional added flavor. Pat dry your pieces with paper towels and set aside.
In a skillet large enough to hold all your pieces, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.   Salt and pepper your chicken.   Flour your chicken pieces and shake access.  Brown your chicken quickly, set aside.  Do not worry that your chicken is not cooked, just browned on the outside.. It will have plenty of time to do so later.
In your skillet add:
1/2 cup Spanish onion diced
1/2 cup diced red/ yellow peppers (I keep these made ahead under oil in refrigerator), but store bought in a jar works well.
Saute until fragrant.
Add 3 tablespoons tomato paste and sautee
return your chicken back to the pan and give it a turn.
Add one cup of white wine and let simmer until reduced.  Add two tablespoons salted capers.  Turn your chicken, set your lid ajar and let cook for one hour. If your chicken sticks during this process, or it seems to be drying out some, add a little water and turn down your heat.  The meat will be falling off the bone when done.  Garnish with fresh parsley.   Serve with plenty of crusty bread~Buon Appetito

No comments:

Post a Comment