Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cure for the Insecure Writer

Quote of the Day:  Hebrews 12:1
Today's New International Version (TNIV)

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

This is a great verse to tuck into your back pocket as you persevere through life. The images lift me up. I feel myself moving into that cloud of witnesses and being surrounded by people who love and support me.  They are there for you, too.


On the first Wednesday of every month, Alex J. Cavannaugh is hosting the Insecure Writer's Support Group. I joined right in. Last month, I wrote about feeling like I didn't really belong in the world of playwrights. You can read about it here. Last week, I wrote about feeling afraid to meet the National Players and participate in their improv workshop, but I did it anyway. I describe the experience here.

And, you could have heard the voices in my head screaming ridicule and excuses to convince me not to go to The Guthrie. I mean, who I am to be invited to Blogger Night at The Guthrie? 


But, here I am, standing in front of the theatre, all my insecurities rolling on the highway that lead me here.

Here's the thing. People feel insecure. They're afraid of taking risks, looking imperfect, being vulnerable. Yet, they are longing for new experiences, to live into their authentic lives, and to be a positive force in the world. You can "What if" yourself into isolation and depression, or you can surround yourself with that cloud of witnesses, the people who give you light and love, and go forth with confidence.

Last month, after I posted my insecurities, I went on Facebook and tagged some of the people who had offered encouragement. When I started making that list, I realized that I was surrounded by a cloud of witnesses. I paused. Said a prayer of thanks, and said "Yes!" to the next new opportunity - despite my insecurities.

Go. Create. Inspire!
And, someday soon, Dare!

Journaling Prompt:  Make a list of people who are part of your cloud of witnesses, those who give you strength, support, love and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment