Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Words Words Words

Quote of the Day:  A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck


I joined the A to Z challenge again this year. Last year, I had fun writing up all those posts, inviting guest bloggers, many were family members, and having the theme of names and words and phrases used in theatre.

This year, I was completely blocked on a theme. I started taking pictures so I'd have a photo of each letter of the alphabet and thinking about having a word for the day. Then, I read the above quote, and it hit me. The word for the day is the theme. Just this past week, I have been in discussions about the meanings of words. How they evolved, and how their meaning changes.  Here's a brief preview:

accent
cheap
eccentric
fabulous
gay
nail
special
tart

Here's one to get you thinking. My boys asked me to explain eccentric. I did, in part, by saying that it means someone who does things a little differently, but there seems to be money attached to that word. It seems that if that person were poor, we'd just call them weird. So, they asked, "Would you want to be called eccentric?"

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Would you want to be called eccentric? Did you enter the A to Z challenge? What are some words you'd like to discuss in April?

No comments:

Post a Comment