Monday, September 3, 2012

Amaretto Cakes

Where there is an Italian, there is Amaretto.  I have been wanting to try an Amaretto cake for the longest time.  I came across a little bottle of Amaretto in the closet, so I thought what a perfect excuse to use it up.  Nothing like the smell of almonds throughout the house on a rainy day. 
Don't be afraid to use alcohol.  I must say, I am rather heavy handed when it comes to flavor.  Not a big fan of overly sweet desserts, so I found this recipe particularly challenging.   Finding the right balance between liquor and sugar content is as individual as choosing a perfume.   I must say, it's quite delicious.
Preheat your oven to 325 F. 
Ingredients.  6 cakes (plus extra for a small, sheet pan about 12 inches square)
Mini cake pan
Sheet cake pan (12 inches square)
3 sticks butter (1 plus 1/2 cups)
3oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons vanilla
4 tablespoons Amaretto (imported Italian, American versions are overly sweet)
2 cups plus 1/2 cups flour
2 cups plus 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1/2 cups sliced almonds covered in Additional Amaretto
(This is a variation on a recipe I came across in Southern Living.  You will need extra vanilla and extra Amaretto as the original recipe lacked flavor).
Cream together your butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.  Add your Sugar to your mixture a little at time.  Add your sour cream.   Beat until mixed well.  Add your vanilla extract, liquor and mix again.  This should take just a few minutes as you want everything well combined.  Add your flour a little at time.

Make sure to incorporate a little at a time.
Add your eggs one at a time.

Line your pans with sliced almonds. You can soak your almonds in a little Amaretto ahead or place a tablespoon of Amaretto over each cake insert.  Your alcohol will evaporate when baking and add terrific flavor to your cake. So don't panic.

Slowly pour your batter into each cake insert.  Don't over pour like I did.  You really should only have them 3/4 full.  You need to give them room to grow in the oven. 

So they turned into Muffins and not my intention.  I had extra batter too, so why not a small cake pan? 


(I lined my pan with wax paper to make it easy to remove the cake).

Bake in a Preheated 325F degree oven for 25-32 minutes.  Check for doneness  by inserting your knife into your cakes.  Your small sheet pan with One inch of batter will need 22 inches of cooking time. 
I cut the lids off the cakes after they cooled.  I Carefully cut out each cake.  I have been told If you place a damp rag under your cake pan, your cake should slip right out.   Give it a try.



Make some holes with a toothpick over everything.  Drizzle or brush some additional Amaretto.  Buon Appetito!
Special Note:  Make a glaze, sprinkle with powdered sugar or just slice yourself a piece with a nice espresso.  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment