Wednesday, September 5, 2012

IWSG Tardy, Again

Quote of the Day:  There are two weapons in the writer's arsenal...The first is stamina and the second is uncompromising belief in yourself. Leon Uris

On this September 5th edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, I'm low on both. Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for starting this online group and all the great insecure writers who participate. Go to his blog for more info.

And, I'm tardy again on my posting, so here are my excuses.

(The middle one is not really that much taller. He's on the top step.)


Yesterday was the first day of the 2012-13 school year. We were up and out of bed before 6:00 am. The middle son was at his school for earlybird class by 6:45, and the other two biked off to the middle school by 7:15, backpacks loaded, tummies full of blueberry muffins, and heads and hearts filled with good wishes to the start of a new year.

After supper, the neighborhood boys wanted to run off a little bit of first day of school steam, so they gathered at the park. I headed back to the store for more school supplies. Just as I entered the store, my cellphone rang. "Mom, I've been stung." One of the twins, Eric, has had an allergic reaction to wasp stings in the past, so I turned right around and brought him to the ER. He didn't show much reaction, but they took good care of him. All the while, I thought of his twin brother, Charlie, who had also been stung, twice, at the same park, at the same time, and wondered if he needed attention. I tried calling. No answer. About an hour after we got to the ER, the phone rang. "Ya, Charlie seems to be reacting to the sting." Thanks to big brother Zach, he got some Benadryl. I told the ER nurse that I had to go. I said, "His twin brother was also stung and is having a reaction, so I need to go get him. I'm going to leave this one here, and go get the other one. I'll be right back."

By 11:00, we were finally home. The boys sleep-walked into the house, and I fell into bed. I'm still recovering as I write this post about writing and found the quote that explains my problem. I don't think I have the stamina nor the "uncompromising belief" in myself right now. It seems a little selfish, actually, to daydream about writing fiction right now.

So, I sent my groggy boys off to school today, still needing a couple extra notebooks, minus their football shoes, and spent the morning trying to regroup.

Tomorrow's my birthday. Maybe I'll get the gift of stamina and self-confidence. But, if not, chocolate will work.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  What do you do when you're low on stamina and belief in yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment