Monday, September 9, 2013

Chocolate Frangelico Cake

I learned a valuable lesson today.  Even the most experienced cooks, makes some serious mistakes.   For example, I learned a long time ago, never to try to bake and prepare anything in a hot and humid kitchen.   It took some time, for me to realize,  it was just to hot.  Ingredients do not fair well in humidity.    In fact, here is a cake that on test number one, I used almost no liquid.  By today's test, it required some thinning.  So today, I looked for some practicality, instilled in me by my husband's Mother.  She was  a great Southern cook in her own right.   When all else fails, grab a can of club soda.  
I suppose, using water would have worked, or a few drops of milk.   But I had to give this a try.  Either way, it works.   The second thing to remember is never rush through adding your ingredients.   Add ingredients in steps, one at a time, especially when dealing with liquids.   We are so tempted to throw everything together.  Believe me, I was too.    Here are the steps to a one bowl wonder.  I always keep a jar of Dutch, unsweetened Cocoa powder, ready and waiting.  You never know when you will need a dessert in a hurry.   A chocolate one is always welcome.  I have made cupcakes too with this recipe.  You can too.   Buon Appetito!
Ingredients:  1 cup plus  1/2 cup unbleached flour (I used Gold Medal today)
1 cup plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
One teaspoon baking soda
One teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
One teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup Mascarpone (Sour cream can be substituted)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Frangelico (You can use Kahlua)
1/2 cup club soda 
 If you do not have this on hand, use warm water or milk.
Into a bowl sift together your dry ingredients and give it a mix by hand with a whisk.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees 
Add your wet ingredients one at a time.   Leave the club soda for last.  Slowly add your club soda.   Add and mix with a hand mixer or in a bowl of a standing mixer until your batter, drips in a thick stream from the back of your wooden spoon.
It's that easy.  You might not have to use all your liquid.  You can even mix this batter by hand.  No fancy equipment needed.  Pour into your favorite bundt pan.  

I baked it for 35-40 minutes in a 8 inch round Bundt cake pan.  Be sure and begin checking  your cake by inserting a knife into it after 30 minutes.  When it's comes out clean, it's done. 


 Cooking times are approximations.  Recipes are a guide.  Watch your oven.
I sprinkled a little toasted almonds across the top.  Once done and turned over, it adds a little crunch to the bottom of the cake. 

 Special note:   
1. The club soda gives this cake an extra lift.  Decrease your cooking time slightly. You will not need as much liquid as you think.  Begin checking your cake in your Bundt pan at the 30 minute mark
2.   You can omit the alcohol if you like.  I like to include it as it helps to intensify the overall taste of your cake.  The alcoholic content will cook out.
3.  This recipe is an adaptation of many recipes out on the web.  I am just sharing my version.  
  Enjoy.  Can be made last minute.  Pour your favorite icing or liquor directly over your cake before serving.  I served mine with a little whipped cream.  More pics to come.  Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment