Tuesday, September 3, 2013

IWSG September 2013

Quote of the Day:  
I write for those women who do not speak, for those who do not have a voice because they were so terrified, because we are taught to respect fear more than ourselves. We've been taught that silence would save us, but it won't. Audre Lorde


Photograph of a photograph at the MN State Fair fine arts building.
The card reads: The World is about to Turn 
Mark C. Christianson, Minneapolis (photographer)
The photograph illustrates the controversial issue of marriage and what it means to different people.

Today marks the two year anniversary of the Insecure Writer's Support Group started by Alex J. Cavanaugh, click his name to find more insecure writers and to read his blog. I am a charter member of IWSG. I missed the very first posting because it was my birthday, and I wasn't feeling insecure that day, nor did I spend much time online. Otherwise, I don't think that I've missed a month. Thanks, Alex, for starting this wonderful network of writers!

My insecurity for September 2013 comes from a desire, a calling even, to write about a controversial issue. I believe in justice, and this particular issue is more than a political issue or a religious issue, it is a justice issue. People are being hurt by unfair laws, policies and beliefs. It causes them to live in fear, to be silent and hidden, rather than live their authentic lives.

There are people standing on the opposite side of this issue. People who might reject me and the women I interview for an article I'm writing because they are so afraid of it, of the people who embody it. I'll write it anyway. They have a story to share. They are now able to live their authentic lives and announce to the world who they are and whom they love. 

Sometimes being a writer is hard. You are made for a higher calling, one that gives voice to the voiceless, sheds light on darkness, and empowers the hurting. I hope you're feeling brave enough to answer that call.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Please visit the co-hosts for this month's IWSG.

Journaling Prompt:  Have you ever written about, or taken a stand on, a controversial subject? Have you ever been afraid to publish what you've written? When have you felt really brave as a writer/artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment