Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Muffins, Brothers, and the First Day of School

Quote of the Day:  And let me tell you, you boys of America, that there is no higher inspiration to any man to be a good man, a good citizen, and a good son, brother, or father, than the knowledge that you come from honest blood. - John Sergeant Wise


 
This is actually our second "First Day" of School.  The oldest, Bobby, didn't go on the first "First Day" because he's a junior and the juniors and seniors get the first day off so that the sophomores have a day in the high school for orientation.
 
So, on our second "First Day" of School, I made the traditional blueberry muffins.  As I explained to my guys, "Eating blueberry muffins on the first day of school is a tradition that goes back for generations in the Aalgaard family."  Then, I told them about walking the long driveway to the mailbox on my parents' farm to wait for the bus.  When it was really cold out, my dad would stand by the window and watch for the bus lights, then holler, "The bus is coming!"  When it flooded, we walked to the bridge over our big ditch in big rubber boots, or if it was really deep, Dad would drive us up the road on his tractor.
 
 
 

My boys have their own wheels.



The big one drives.



The three younger ones bike to the middle school, nearby.  No more stops at the elementary school for me.  My babies are growing up...sigh.

Today, I will claim my creative space.  I'm wearing my Scriptfrenzy t-shirt and I'm off to The Coco Moon to write Act 3 of my drama, Coffee Shop Confessions.

We all have learning and work to do.

Go, Create, Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about a school memory.  Where did you go?  Were you ever the new kid?  What mode of transportation got you there?  Did you have a unique experience like tutoring, home-schooling on the road, or study abroad?

No comments:

Post a Comment