Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reader Recipe! Creamed Corn

My only eating encounters with this version of corn preparation have always come from a can, and always tasted like sweet gooey corn.  Not surprising considering the ingredients in commercially made cream style corn. One name brand Cream Style White Corn contains corn, water, sugar, modified food starch and salt. Did you notice what I noticed? There is no cream on the ingredient list! hence why it is only called cream style corn.  It was never a side dish I asked for, nor is it one I make on my own now as a grown up cook.  But, here I am posting a recipe for creamed corn  because my friend and co-worker, who is a creamed corn convert, told me how utterly wonderful this version is.

When I say creamed corn I mean made with cream, not mashed up corn to make a creamy consistency.  There is no added sugar.  I have not added extra food starch.  And there is no added water.  I made this recipe from all things good and wonderful.  Corn, half and half, and butter.  Really just try to convince me it isn't good.  I am now a creamed corn convert too.  I love this recipe.  It is simple, rich, and perfectly lovely as a side dish for almost any meal.  I am thinking of starting a club, Creamed Corn Converts so try this recipe and join me in the happy land of creamed corn, made with real cream!

Creamed Corn
Recipe source: My friend Cindy

6 ears of fresh corn
1/2 stick of butter cubed
3/4 c half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

Shuck your corn and cut the kernels off the cobs.

 Gently, using the back of a knife scrape the cob to release the starchy milk inside the cob.

 Add the half and half and cubed butter.  Place in a baking dish, covered and bake at 375 F for 1 hour or so. 

Enjoy!

**After this dish is cooled you can place in baggies or containers for your freezer.  A great way to enjoy fresh creamed corn all year round!

Total Cost $1.64 this makes more than what is in a 15 oz can for about the same price.
Corn $.75 (Farmer's markets ROCK)
Half and Half $.64
Butter $.25

No comments:

Post a Comment