Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Heart is Willing but the Resistence is Great

Quote of the Day:  Writing is harder than anything else; at least starting to write is.  It's much easier to was dishes.  When I'm writing I set myself a daily quota of pages, but nine times out of ten I'm doing those pages at four o'clock in the afternoon because I've done everything else first...But once I get flowing with it, I wonder what took me so long.  - Kristin Hunter, American writer

I chose this picture for the summer feeling (it's below 0 here today), and because I brought a few of these handmade journals to my mom's group on Monday.
Peace!

Last week, I wrote about Bucket Lists.  My new adult piano student and I both received wonderful comments and encouragement from that post.  One of her friends wrote, "I want to be a Kindergartner in something.  I just don't know what."  We make our lists.  We have our dreams.  We might even know exactly what we love to do and where we'd like to go with it.  And, yet, there is resistence.

On Monday, my Faithful Moms group wanted to talk and write about Bucket Lists, New Year's Resolutions, Word for the Year, and Dreams.  We met at 8:30 am.  First, we chatted a bit, catching up on the week.  Then, we watched a Youtube video of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.  He really was a powerful speaker.  One mom said, "He really knew how to work a metaphor."  I wondered if he wrote his own speeches.  Then, we talked about Civil Rights, looked up info on Dr. King, talked about our kids, what we would do "once they're out of the house."  And, on and on.  It was almost 10:00, the time we usually wrap it up, and I said, "Okay, time to turn off the computer.  Shut it down.  Stop talking and write."  I had to use my teacher/mom voice with these women.  The resistence in the room was thick like goo. (Those were the first words I wrote in my journal.)

Don't we all do that?  We want to do our art, or learn a new craft, or save money for a trip...anything.  But, we fuss around "doing dishes" instead of the task that's calling us.  And, like Kristin Hunter, in the above quote, I do the same thing.  I clean, start laundry, putter around, check my email, look at facebook, play the piano for a bit, even take a walk, THEN I'm ready to sit down and write.  Of course, by then the kids are home from school and the first piano student is at the door.

I challenge you to ignore the dishes, turn off the internet, and dig into your craft/goals today.  You can do it.  It's a bit like exercise, I know.  At first you avoid it, but when you're done, you feel so good about yourself.

Go. Create. Inspire!  (and, stop resisting!!!)

Journaling Prompt:  What would you rather be doing right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment