Monday, August 15, 2011

Book Binding

Quote of the Day: If I had my life to live over again, I would have made a rule to read some poetry and listen to some music at least once a week; for perhaps the parts of my brain now atrophied would have thus been kept active through use.  The loss of these tastes is a loss of happiness, and may possibly be injurious to the intellect, and more probably to the moral character, by enfeebling the emotional part of our nature. - Charles Darwin (the beginning quote in my favorite poetry book The Music Lover's Petry Anthology)

(I would say do those things at least once a day. Creativity, art, music, nature, poetry, all the arts stimulate our minds.) 



A few of you guessed it. We made journal books.  The little one is an accordian fold book.  The larger one is made with nicely textured Japanese paper and an accordian spine.  We put three sections of paper in it.  The purple one is a multi-sectioned French twist binding.


Georgia has also taught me a modified Japanese book binding which I've used when teaching journal making, and writing.  I'd love to do more of this, both making the books and teaching.

I get all excited about the different kinds of paper you can find at art stores.  I love the textures and the things that are embedded in the fibers.  It stimulates my creativity.

My sister Joy and cousin Angie are visiting for a couple days.  We're off to the coffee shop where I do my writing for a cup of inspiration.

Journaling Prompt:  What stimulates your creativity?  Are you a teaching artist, or an artist who teaches, or would you rather not teach?  I think my first calling is teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment