Monday, October 31, 2011

Mozzarella Cutlets

Secret Recipe Club



For a few months I have been following a couple of blogs that participate in The Secret Recipe Club.  It is a private group of bloggers who are each assigned a blog to make a recipe from.  Everyone posts the recipe they chose at the same time on the same day as the rest of the group.  It looked like a lot of fun and a great way to find new food blogs with great recipes.  This is my first time participating and I have to say it was a lot of fun!

The blog I was assigned is called Enriching Your Kid and it is full of wonderful recipes that taste good and are good for you and your family.  The author is writing about her journey as she makes her mother's recipes and nourishes her family.  Her recipes range from nourishing pasta dishes loaded with delicious veggies to fruit salads and tips about packing great cold lunches.  I have quite a few of her recipes marked to make soon but I chose the Cheese Cutlets to make first because they were calling to me. Yes I know it sounds strange but once in a while a recipe, especially those made with cheese and potatoes, call out to me and I am literally forced to make it.  

The term cutlet has many meanings depending what part of the world your recipe comes from.  I am used to a cutlet that is a piece of meat pounded thin and lightly fried with a delicious sauce.  These cutlets are entirely different.  I did a little research and found that potato cutlets are common in Indian cuisine and can be flavored with a variety of spices and herbs.  This version is very simple and appeals to all the flavors my family loves. I didn't have any fresh coriander so that was left out but I am sure it would only make the dish even better.  I made one version with mozzarella cheese as per the original recipe and also a batch with cheddar cheese.  Both were delicious!  The outside was light and crispy with a wonderful smooth and cheesy filling.  We served our's with a sour cream dipping sauce flavored with garlic and herbs but the original post says to serve them with a tomato-chili dipping sauce.  I think either one would be amazing.  I hope you ENJOY!

Mozzarella Cheese Cutlets
Recipe Source: Enriching Your Kid

3tbs grated mozarella cheese
3 potatoes 
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chilli powder
2 tbs chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
fine semolina or bread crumbs to cover cutlets
Oil for frying

Preparation-
Wash clean the potatoes, cut them into quarters and boil. Cool the potatoes enough to handle and peel. Mash the potatoes and add the grated mozzarella cheese, and herbs and salt. Mix well. Roll into balls and form into cutlets. Roll the cutlets into the semolina or bread crumbs and press it in. Fry on all sides over medium heat (I would recommend a non stick skillet). Serve hot with a sauce of your choice or just plain.







No comments:

Post a Comment