Sunday, October 30, 2011

Seth Doud at The Last Turn

Quote of the Day:  Thriller by Michael Jackson
It's close to midnight
Something evil's lurkin'in the dark
Under the moonlight
You see a sight that almost stops your heart
You try to scream
But terror takes the sound before you make it
You start to freeze
As horror looks you right between the eyes
You're paralyzed

'Cause this is thriller
Thriller night
And no one's gonna save you
From the beast about to strike
You know it's thriller
Thriller night
You're fighting for your life
Inside a killer
Thriller tonight, yeah

You're singing it in your head, now, aren't you?

The gal with the blue hat is dressed as a golf bag - hilarious!
My vote for best costume of the night

I was out with the ghosts, ghouls, guys and gals on Saturday night. I went to hear local talent, Seth Doud. The interesting costumed customers were the bonus.


I first heard Seth at the Dreams concert this spring. A completely different venue, the bands were on the biggest stage in our town, each one doing two numbers. Seth was at the end of the show. I sat up from my sleepy seat and paid attention. He came on with such energy that I woke up. His rendition of America gave me chills. He had the same energy at The Last Turn on Saturday, but it was harder to hear him, and concentrate on the music. I think the sound system distorts the vocals - something they could work on.


I was with a nice group in a booth. Here I am with Krista. I grabbed a couple hats on my way out the door and said we were going as Royal Wedding rejects.  We tried to listen to the music and listen for songs that were originals vs. cover songs. In the end, we learned that Seth does mostly his own stuff, and when he sings cover songs, he puts his own style into it so much that it seems like his own.

Like I said, the bar atmosphere doesn't really work for just listening to a performer. It also hinders conversation, so we resorted to old-fashioned texting.

Texting - the old-school way, with paper and pens.

Since we're all middle-aged and hearing and vision challenged, we resorted to writing notes and yelling at each other to communicate. To make it even more difficult, none of us brought our "cheaters" (reading glasses). Naturally, the writer at the table (me) provided the notecards and pen.

They say that The Turn is haunted.
Here's proof of a phantom fan.

Seth's style is soulful. His voice is gravely, at times, and his guitar playing is bold. He has a talent for making it sound like more than one instrument - steel, accoustic, even some rock beats are in there. He said that he loves so many kinds of music and artists and uses parts of all of them in his work. I had one minute to talk to him and off the top of his head he named Bob Dylan and Martin Sexton -R&B, Blues, Rock, as favorites. Oh, ya, I can hear it all. I asked if he had CDs to sell. He did, but I didn't get back to him to see if he had any with him. But, Seth, I'd really like to buy a couple. I love listening to your voice, your guitar, and your style. Click here to read more about Seth Doud and have a listen.

Thanks for the fun night, Seth, Amy (owner of the Last Turn), all you creepy customers, and the spirits that float through the rooms.

He somehow reminded me of Edgar Allen Poe

Every good party needs a pirate.


Outside the Turn

Queen Elizabeth?

Go. Create. Inspire!
And, beware the creepy caped kiddos invading your neighborhoods!

Journaling Prompt:  What's your favorite Halloween costume?







No comments:

Post a Comment